Friday, July 1, 2011

MARVIN BOPPINZ SAVES THA DAY!

THE SHOW MUST GO ON:

Today was the big performance of
"MARVIN BOPPINS SAVES THE DAY"
 at Stages Theatre Summer Camp.

The theme of the camp was Mary Poppins, but the students are aloud to write their own characters and create the play themselves. I get to combine their crazy ideas into a cohesive script. Naturally, a boy wanted to play the role of Mary Poppins, so he decided to change his name to Marvin Boppins.  He really wanted to use the FLY system. I had to crush that idea right off the bat. 7 year olds and their crazy dreams...

Another boy wanted to play the PHANTOM of the OPERA; So the play became a battle between the Phantom and Marvin. Classic good verses evil.

As a calming exercise before the big performance, I had the kidz imagine they were breathing in different colors and painting pictures in their mind. I had them imagine they were doing their play perfectly and nothing messed up. Problem was, my Phantom had used his imagination to paint an elaborate Phantom of the Opera costume which he did not have. This made him very upset. So upset in fact, that he refused to perform. Even though I quickly made him a mask and cape to wear, it was not as good as his colorful imagination...

With only a few minutes until performance, I had to act fast.
I decided I WOULD PLAY THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.
THE SHOW MUST GO ON.

In a way, I suppose I also played Marvin Boppins....
Marvin "Mahler Baller" Boppins indeed saved the day =)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment